Toddlers just love this traditional French toast snack because they can “dunk” them in maple syrup. You can also use fruit preserves instead if you like. For best results, purchase a whole, unsliced loaf of wholewheat bread and cut thick slices.
8 slices thick-cut whole-wheat bread
4 large eggs
1 cup whole milk
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
¼ cup pure maple syrup (optional)
- Cut the bread slices lengthwise into 4 equal pieces.
- In a small bowl, whisk the eggs with the milk, salt, cinnamon, and vanilla.
- Heat the butter in a skillet on medium to medium-low.
- One at a time, dip the bread slices into the egg mixture, coating well. (Only dip as many pieces of bread into the mixture as you are cooking at one time.)
- Lay the soaked bread pieces in the skillet. Cook on one side for about 2 minutes, until browned; turn over and cook the other side until browned.
- Divide the syrup evenly in small dipping cups. Serve with the French toast sticks.