- Vegetable oil, for the baking sheet
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 cup Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 cups panko breadcrumbs
- 3/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh chives (or parsley)
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 8 small bone-in chicken thighs (about 2 1/2 pounds), skin removed
- Kosher salt
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Lightly oil a baking sheet. Combine the butter and garlic in a large microwave-safe bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and microwave to melt the butter, about 1 minute. Whisk in the Dijon and 1/4 teaspoon of the cayenne.
In another large bowl, combine the breadcrumbs, Parmesan, chives, paprika and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon cayenne. Sprinkle the chicken thighs with 1/2 teaspoon salt. Dip the chicken in the mustard mixture to coat and roll in the breadcrumbs on all sides. Lay on the prepared baking sheet so the pieces do not touch.
Bake on the middle rack of the oven until the coating is browned and crispy and the chicken is no longer pink near the bone, about 40 minutes.
Transfer to a large platter and serve.
This recipe is also delicious with boneless skinless chicken thighs. Prepare the thighs the same way and reduce the baking time by about 5 minutes, or until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F.