There are many caffeine researches done over the years. All of them have different opinions, but agree on one, excessive caffeine can harm the developing baby. Some studies are linking caffeine to decreased fertility, factor for increasing miscarriage, premature labor, lower birthweight, stillbirth and Sudden Infant Death Syndrome or SIDS. Miscarriage is present in women who are consuming more than five cups a day.
So what is the safe amount of caffeine? Experts can’t agree whether to cut coffee entirely during pregnancy period, or just a small amount of 100 – 150 milligrams a day is safe. Whatever you choose to limit you caffeine consumption during pregnancy or not have this things in mind :
- Caffeine tends to act as a diuretic, drawing both fluid andcalcium from the body
- Caffeine can interfere with the absorption of iron
- Caffeine can heighten mood swings
- Caffeine can heighten the breast tenderness that many women experience during early pregnancy
- Caffeine can cause insomnia — something that tends to be a problem for pregnant women anyway